COP 27 | Building Capacity to Implement Rights-Based Approaches to Nature-Based Climate Solutions
16 November 2022
Date: 16 November 2022
Time: 14:30-15:30 (GMT+2)
Location: Canadian Pavilion at UNFCCC COP 27, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
Nature-based climate solutions (NBCS) hold promise in helping people adapt to the impacts of climate change. To enhance their legitimacy and effectiveness, greater emphasis must be placed on approaches that ensure social inclusion and gender equality.
Hosted by IISD, this event will feature panel presentations, an interactive Q&A, and capacity-building products developed through the Nature for Climate Adaptation Initiative, supported by Global Affairs Canada. It will examine how to generate biodiversity co-benefits through NBCS while following rights-based approaches, highlight examples from different regions, and discuss the expected outcomes for NBCS and social inclusion in the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework.
This event aligns with the Canadian Pavilion theme of highlighting synergies with climate action and protection of nature, and will take place on the biodiversity thematic day.
- Anne Hammill, Senior Director, Resilience, IISD
- Veronica Lo, Senior Policy Advisor, IISD
- Heather Stager, Deputy Director, Climate Finance, Global Affairs Canada
- Sheila Babauta, Member of the Northern Mariana Islands House of Representatives
- Tristan Tyrrell, Program Management Officer, Biodiversity and Climate Change, Convention on Biological Diversity
- Kouka Oudraogo, Focal Point, National Adaptation Plan for Climate Change of Burkina Faso